Kairos. This word can be defined in just four words: the right rhetorical moment. Despite being only six letters long and having a definition of four words, this word packs quite a punch in everyday life whether you are aware of it or not. Kairos is having the opportunity to speak your mind on a certain topic at the precise and opportune moment. Kairos gives you the chance to tell the someone when they are wrong and correct them with your own little rant. Many people don't understand when the proper time is to make a statement, such as this kid:
Clearly, this child does not have a grasp on kairos and when the proper time is to express his love for turtles. But it did make for a fantastic viral video that never fails to make me laugh. People who don't have an understanding of kairos are those who bring up points that have absolutely nothing to do with the conversation. A friend of mine up here is great at adding points that add nothing to the conversation at hand but rather gives points from previous conversations. Example:
Me: Wow! One Direction is the best band ever and they are soooooo good looking.
Friend 1: I know! They are amazing!
Friend 2: I like to sleep on my stomach.
Me: Oh, ok. Well...Harry is my favorite.
It should be noted that about ten minutes and three conversations earlier we were, in fact, discussing sleeping habits but he clearly missed his opportunity to discuss his sleeping style. I would call his little moment of realization l'esprit de l'escalier, which means spirit of the staircase in French. This means that you figure out what you are supposed to say right after you miss your chance. It more commonly relates to a comeback that you have thought of. This is sometimes referred to as elevator wit in America although I think the French version sounds a bit more refined. I am all too often a victim of l'esprit de l'escalier and to help lessen my downfalls with this I often come up with situations in my head so I have clever rebuttals at my ready. Never quite works out as I hope though. Either I completely fumble in my deliverly or the other person's way of pointing the statement is slightly altered and I can't use my comeback. I believe that it takes a very special person to take advantage of kairos is a witty situation. Journalists and comedians are pros in the way of kairos and they are always the first to respond. I only hope I can be half as good as they are one day.
I like how you found a halarious real-life example of kairos.
ReplyDeleteIt is really interesting to see how you find and explain real-life examples of kairos. Like you said, it is really hard to find the right timing to say something. I love to see your real life example you explained so well and humorous.
ReplyDelete