Thursday, February 23, 2012

Legends of the Hidden Temple

I stumbled upon a gem of a video today during my daily YouTube video searches (and by daily I mean hourly).  The nineties were full of bad fashion but they did have fantastic TV shows on Nickelodeon. Legends of the Hidden Temple, for example, is a classic 90s kids' game show. Legends of the Hidden Temple, hosted by Kirk Foggs, aired from 1993-1995. The contestants had to answer questions based off subjects such as geography, history and myths. There are six teams at the start of the game but only one is able to go through the Temple to try to retrieve the artifact. Nineties TV shows always seem to have wonderful clips and I was not disappointed with this one. When I watched this clip, I couldn't stop laughing. I truly couldn't.

First thing that stuck with me in this clip is the Peter Pan ad that just stays on the screen a little too long. Because I had seen the title of the clip, I was only waiting for the kid to say that he enjoys collecting bags. Then I took the time to re-watch it and discovered even more quirks about this interview Kirk was holding. He was doing a pretty poor job... During the first watch of this I didn't even notice because he had such a confident voice and no real outer motions of being nervous or being unprepared. He did stumble over a few words but for doing it live in front of a studio audience he was doing great in my opinion. Although, why would a girl who collected cow stuff collect milk? Milk spoils. Evidently he did not plan that comment out at all. And poor Mary. Kirk says, "Mary obviously wants to be...is a cheerleader" that slight moment of hesitation is all it takes to make this interview that much more cringe worthy. If only he had actually read over the participants' bios instead of just going with it. 


One of the best parts of this interview is actually in the YouTube comments. The top rated comment poster claims to be the Brent in this very video. He states that on his form he wrote that he collected BUGS not BAGS. Brent is clearly upset at Kirk's apparent illiteracy. I think I would be to if I was stuck with the name Bagboy all through high school. 


If this video taught me anything it would be to continue speaking confidently to the end and hope people don't realize the mistakes you have made. A speech is all about the delivery. If you believe in your material so will others. Kirk did a pretty good job with that. Also you should probably do some studying before you talk about teenagers on a game show because they could end up with unfortunate nicknames. 

No comments:

Post a Comment