Today in class, we discussed the difference between being convinced and being motivated. I have never thought about their being a difference among the two even though the divide is quite substantial. I have always known they weren't the same word and when it was the right time to use each word but never have I truly thought about it. I have been convinced of plenty of things or ideas in my life and I would like to say that once I have learned all of the facts I am motivated to do something about a big issue. But I can't. I tend to become motivated over ideas that are not exactly great ideas (like feeling the motivation to make posters because the reward would be a prettier room) and I'm convinced about things
I would say I'm a pretty easy to convince. All it takes for me to have an opinion on an issue would be a news article with about one easy to remember statistic. I will take this opinion and run with it for a bit and finally will do extensive research on it before I figure out my exact stance. To get me motivated is a different story. The only motivation I have is for my own gain. I have been convinced about the atrocities of certain things but have never felt motivated to help unless it is relevant and if I can related it back to my own life in some way. If someone wants me to do something, they have to make sure I can apply it to my life otherwise I don't think I will be that helpful or useful.
I find that I am my biggest motivator. I am not a fan of people telling me what to do. In fact, I remember jump roping outside last summer and my mom poked her head through the window and said "You should probably continue moving in between jumping sets to keep your heart going. Don't just stand there." I don't think I have ever stood stiller than that moment after she gave me that advice... In fact, I think I even tried to stop breathing heavily so my chest wouldn't be moving as much. Even over little things like that I have to be the one who makes my own decisions. My mom convinced me that I probably should keep moving in between sets when she told me that but I need self-motivation to put it into action. Looking at that example, it seems incredibly childish but I enjoy being self-motivated. I give myself an incentive to get things done. I tell myself that I will be able to watch my favorite show only if I get my paper done in time.
Motivation and being convinced of doing something are two completely different things. Being convinced is understanding what the issue is and being motivated is taking action on that issue. One deals with your head and logic whereas the other, I believe, deals more with your heart and emotions.
No comments:
Post a Comment