Friday, March 16, 2012

Save Your Conversations for the Right People

In my group of friends, my roommate, Caitlin, and I seem to be the odd ones out. Every time we go to lunch or out to any meal for that matter, the topic of math and/or physics is bound to come up. Those topics always seem to crop up under the strangest circumstances. It doesn't matter what was being talked about earlier because the topic of discussion will somehow change to a more logical and scientific conversation. This would be an example of a "normal" conversation:

Me: Wow this soup sure is good.
Them: Well, if you figure that the soup is the same density as a cubic meter of sand particles, you can determine that the chemicals in space are of the same velocity so the equation would be E = (-6U^%)+(8Tx#!).
Me: Sweet. 
Other Them: Ah I don't know about that because of Bedpostcupboarddoor's theory of space refrigeration.

And I just proceed to drink my soup and offer absolutely no opinions or say for the next 15 minutes while they debate that and then talk about computer programming and C++. Fun times. Caitlin and I have been putting up with this since September. We sometimes ask to change the conversation so we can all participate. But we never complain about it because we know that they are genuinely interested and excited to talk about science-y things. We just enjoy our tasty meal and have discussions that we care about with different friends later on in the day. 

About a month ago, I found out about One Direction and Caitlin and I have been in love since. Ah, I can't resist boybands. Adorable. There is just something about them that makes them fun to follow and listen to their pop music. So since this little discovery, Caitlin and I have been talking quite a bit about One Direction and their interviews and lives, etc. And when I say quite a bit, I mean literally every second of every conversation. In fact, even as I'm writing this Caitlin is on page 189 of One Direction facts (I have already finished reading all 924 facts). Ah the lengths, us college students will go to to not do homework. We have noticed that our friends have been becoming a bit annoyed with this constant bantering about our favorite boyband (we have converted one guy however). 

Caitlin and I began to feel kind of bad for constantly talking about them but when we were at lunch with them today we realized that they have been doing the same thing to us for months. They know we have no interest in science and yet it is always talked about. We don't want to hear about their religious views or lack there of. But we did for six months. We have told them that it is not something we wish to discuss because it leaves people out. And we had been doing the same thing with One Direction. I realized that sometimes you have to put aside what you might be interested in for the sake of others involved in the conversation. I wouldn't want to exclude people from having a good time at a meal or just in general. Caitlin and I have decided to be less polarizing with our conversation topics and we hope our friends will do the same.

But honestly would you rather talk about this: 
Math and Physics Things

Or them:
One Direction

1 comment:

  1. Your pictures at the end clinch this post. Nicely done, Molly!

    ReplyDelete